We may support greenery with our clothing this spring, but what about ways to make your life greener as a whole? Today is Earth Day, an annual event celebrated worldwide to demonstrate support for environmental protection. April 22nd may only be one day of the year, but there’s various events and activities you can do to get involved all year long.
Earth Day 2018 is dedicated to providing information and inspiration to change human attitude and behavior about plastics. From disrupting human hormones and marine lives, to littering our beaches and landscapes, the growth of plastics is threatening the survival of our planet tremendously. It’s time to take action, so follow these simple ways to make your life greener!
Make Your Life Greener with Food & Drinks
A big part of going greener starts with your food habits. With both health and environmental advantages, you’ll never go back once you try these food and drink options!
- Bring your own reusable bag to the grocery store – preferably a cloth one.
- Buy organic and locally sourced meals.
- Cook the exact amount of food or use up all of your leftovers.
- Refill the same water bottle or give up plastic water bottles altogether.
- Ditch the coffee shop and use a reusable mug.
- Grow and harvest your own fruits, veggies, and herbs.
- Skip meat and cheese one day a week or participate in Meatless Monday.
- Recycle cans, bottles, and cartons instead of throwing them away.
Make Your Life Greener with Fashion/Beauty
Besides how you take care of your body on the inside, you can also make your life greener on the outside. Replace your typical fashion and beauty routines with these!
- Hang dry your clothing instead of using an electric dryer.
- Use cold water for your laundry when washing your clothes.
- Buy clothes made of cotton, hemp, and wool instead of synthetic fabrics.
- Donate clothes you don’t wear anymore to Goodwill or other organizations.
- Cut down your shower time and lower the temperature.
- Ditch disposable razors and switch to a permanent razor that uses refillable blades.
- Use beauty products made with natural and organic ingredients.
Make Your Life Greener in Your Home
Additionally, you can go green with simple actions in your home and outside of your home. Try these tips for your technology, transportation, and house up-keep!
- Use natural resources like baking soda to substitute harsh soaps and chemicals.
- Hand wash and dry your dirty dishes.
- Avoid unnecessary driving by walking or biking.
- Take a train instead of an airplane or car since it emits less pollution.
- Invest in energy-efficient appliances and lights in your home.
- Turn off your lights and use natural sunlight when you can.
- Recycle your old phones and gadgets instead of storing them in a drawer.
Share with us the ways in which you make your life greener by tagging us on Instagram @glamandgowns, and Faviana’s Instagram @Faviana_NY, Snapchat @Faviana_NY, and Twitter @FavianaNY. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our Youtube channel for more fun vlogs @FavianaNYC!